Accused sex offender set to face trial

Newcastle courthouse. A MAN accused of breaking into an 85-year-old woman’s Edgeworth home and subjecting her to repeated indecent assaultover a two-hour period will face a trial in Newcastle District Court early next year.
苏州美甲培训

“I’m not happy with that,” Stefan Neil Thomas Wakeman, 54, called from the court dock upon hearing Judge Roy Ellis confirm his trial date of January 29, 2018; the first week the court will sit after the Christmas break.

“This is the first time me and [barrister William Hussey] have spoke.

Stefan Neil Thomas Wakeman said from the court dock.

“Nothing’s been done on my case. “I’ve got a witness…”

Mr Wakeman, who was by no means being critical of Mr Hussey, who has only recently come into the matter,was cut-off by Judge Ellis before he could continue outlining the defence case.

He has pleaded not guilty to aggravated break and enter and commit serious indictable offence –deprive liberty, inflict assault occasioning actual bodily harm with intent to have sexual intercourse and aggravated enter dwelling with intent –inflict assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Mr Wakeman is accused of breaking into the elderly woman’s home and subjecting her to repeated indecent assault between 6pm and 8.10pm on January 22 this year.

The alleged victim was able to hit a duress alarm and a family member interrupted the alleged assault, police said.

Police said at the time of Mr Wakeman’s arrest that it was believed he had undertaken gardening work at the alleged victim’s home on previous occasions.

Mr Hussey said on Thursday that he was awaiting “additional statistics” in relation to the DNA allegedly found at the crime scene, noting that Mr Wakeman had been found to be a “minor contributor”.

“I’m also seeking CCTV footage from Belmont police station to ensure there’s been no cross contamination,” Mr Hussey told Judge Ellis.